Infor Service Management is a Comprehensive Application
The Infor Service Management solution is an ERP application for service companies, field service companies, and manufacturers and equipment companies that provides service including installation, both preventive and emergency maintenance, warranty, service contracts, inspections, and both internal and external operations. Infor Service Management can be categorized as an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) solution due to the abundance of functionality provided with the core offering. This vast functional footprint is a differentiator for Infor Service Management, as few other field service management systems have the same broad reach.
Integrations for every stage of the business cycle
Infor Service Management is unique in that it is a single system for use across all business phases, from initial opportunities with prospects to cash collection to month-end close. Most service management, field service management, and equipment rental software packages aren’t capable of addressing the needs of an entire company throughout the business cycle. Infor field service management software does it all.
Noteworthy areas of Infor Service Management include the following modules that are not typically bundled with service and field service management software:
- Accounting. Infor can accommodate multiple companies in a single database. Infor provides a fixed assets module too. Billing and invoicing are included and integrated. The integration allows for shorter billing cycles and subsequent improved cash flow.
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM). A full-blown CRM module is included, with Outlook integration.
- Material Requirements Planning (MRP). MRP is included for assistance in managing and planning material purchases and production; available for single or multiple warehouses.
- Rental and rental counter abilities. Infor provides integrated rental management for equipment companies.
Many service management software products do not include integrated accounting, CRM, and rental abilities. They require you to use third-party applications and then use a standard interface to connect to those applications. Infor’s view is that a fully-integrated, single-source provider is a strength and that the requirement of third-party applications is a weakness. The strengths of a fully integrated solution are:
- Full interoperability within all the modules and drill down in a single database providing rich transactional detail versus the limited abilities you have using interfaced products.
- One company provides complete support for the system, including help desk support.
- A single solution eliminates the need to manage non-correlated development paths of differing companies and version release compatibility associated with interfaced options. A single application provider makes it easier for the administrator to maintain.
Infor Service Management Development Toolset
Infor Service Management also leverages the Infor Operating Services tech stack to improve the user experience, add functionality, and include other Infor applications. Infor uses the Infor Mongoose framework for the developing tool with .Net code, making it easy for users to modify and add forms and functionality. The Mongoose framework provides the benefit of a thin client and native appearance in a browser allowing the user to access the software in a browser versus logging into a PC in a traditional client-server deployment. Infor further leverages the Infor Operating Service to provide unique social collaboration. Users have the ability to view, follow, track, and collaborate in functional areas such as sales, service orders, maintenance and repair operations, rentals, and projects. They can collaborate in the normal browser form or via mobile applications on various mobile devices.
Infor Operating Services also has tools for creating workflows of all kinds, ranging from simple to complex, and tools for event management, including push notifications with alerts and messaging.
Infor Service/Field Service Management also has functionality typically found in field service packages, such as service contracts, sales estimates and orders, service scheduling and dispatching, service and preventative maintenance, equipment configuration, inspections, purchasing, call center, warranty and expense tracking.
Mobile applications are a definite requirement for service management companies. Infor provides full mobile capabilities, including the ability for field technicians to work in an environment where they have internet and cell tower access, and in areas where they are forced to work offline and synchronize with the Infor Service Management application when they regain internet access. Infor works on any device with a browser (including tablets) for untethered use.
Infor Service Management may be a good option if your company is looking to transition from using entry-level accounting packages like QuickBooks supplemented with homegrown Excel systems, as is often the case with growing companies.
However, if you are looking to keep your current accounting package—QuickBooks, Peachtree, or any other third-party application—then Infor Service Management may not be the best option for you.
Our objective at Visual South is to help businesses achieve their desired goals. Our team is more than happy to assist and provide guidance about service management software.